Thursday 14 January 2010

Valse Olive








So, here is the first lesson! Valse Olive by Oliver Gautier. The video shows the parts broken down into the A and B sections and the respective bass parts for each one. I have prepared this for a specific pupil and as such it is not a 'from scratch' tutorial (but some of those to come!)

This is a French tune, and because of this, it is played across the rows of the Melodeon. This leads to smoother basses and a more interesting harmony.

Now, I'm not a 'French' player, but I do like the French style tunes. I have played this on a DG Melodeon in the key of G, but the original is played in C on a GC, as many French tunes are.

Playing on a DG compared to a GC means that it is better to play in the lower octave as opposed to the higher octave on a  GC where Mr Gautier plays it. Here is the original.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, look fwd to more. BTW it's Olivier (rather than Oliver) Gautier. I'd suggest you make the linked pages (such as the score) open in a new window? This would make it easier to follow the music and watch the clip at the same time. (Yes I know we can shift-click, but why not make it as easy as possible on your viewers. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind - I sort of assumed that it would open on a new page automatically! As for the spelling mistake, only myself to blame :D

    ReplyDelete